For rankers in the range 3000-4000, The Department of Civil Engineering, IIT (BHU) is definitely the place to be for 4 summers & winters of your life. This is the oldest “C” branch… C for Cool!! (Dobara mat sochna!).
1. Life as a Civil Engineering Student: GOLD Standard (Enough said!). Students of the department have achieved academic, co- & extra-curricular excellence over the years. The department has produced a long list of Sports stars, Tech-heads & Cultural enthusiasts.
2. Moderate Academic Load: Not the most but definitely not the least. The course is designed to produce a well-trained mind capable of excelling in any discipline of Civil Engineering viz, Structural, Environmental, Geotechnical, Transportation and Hydraulics & Water Resources Engg.
3. The Faculty: We have one of the best faculty in Civil engineering in the country. This is attested by the amount of consultancy & research work undertaken by the professors. The teachers are lenient (reasonably, of course) and try their best to aid the students in their overall growth.
4. The Department: Established in 1919, this department was a part of Benaras Engineering College (BENCO) which went on to become IIT (BHU). Large classrooms with projectors, well equipped Labs with latest equipment and a very helpful office and laboratory support staff. Satisfaction guaranteed! The GIS & Remote Sensing laboratory is a “Centre for Advanced Studies” We also have a biennial National Civil Engineering festival, “Shilp”, which attracts budding engineers from the nation for a plethora of events.
5. Placements: Construction Conglomerates (L&T, GS Constructions, etc), consultancy firms (M.N. Dastur, URS-Scott Wilson, etc), Production big-wigs (Ambuja Cement, JSPL, etc) are regular visitors. In this season, NHAI (National Highway Authority of India) has recruited 10 people, the highest from any institute across the country. A similar success story has been scripted in non-core companies & consulting firms (Ivy Comptech, Sapient, Mu-Sigma, Futures first, United Health Group, etc.)
6. Scope: The graduates from the department are considered by many to be the Crème’ de la Crème’ of civil engineers in the country. The scope of higher studies (M.Tech/MS/Ph.D) is immense and many distinguished alumni are currently pursuing the same in reputed institutes across the world. The IAS/IES machinery is full of alumni of the department. It has also produced successful entrepreneurs in diverse fields. Scope bohot hai bhai…batate hue budhha ho jaae aadmi!
The department organises its annual departmental festival Shilp.
– Achyut Pareek (Batch of 2013), Dept. of Civil Engineering